A BRIEF LOOK AT THE HISTORY OF ST. PAUL LUTHERAN CHURCH
St. Paul Lutheran's founding pastor, Rev. Jacob J. Siegrist began serving the German Lutheran St. Paulus Congregation of Stillwater, Minnesota in 1870. In 1872, under Rev. Siegrist's leadership, the first church and parsonage were constructed on South Third Street.
To meet the need of a growing congregation, a new building was built in 1912, with Rev. A.C. Ernst conducting the dedication services. Growth continued, and a third church was built at our present day site at 609 South Fifth Street. The dedication took place in 1952 with Rev. Ernst, now pastor emeritus, participating and Pastor Leonard Ziemer conducting the service.
A new addition to the church was added in 2003 to expand the classrooms, the social hall, the office area, and to create a larger more open gathering area. The dedication took place with Bishop Peter Rogness participating and Pastor Steve Sampson conducting the service.
Pastor Mark Becker, who became our Lead Pastor in September 2007, retired in July of 2013. We are currently in a time of transition. Our Profile committee has done a wonderful job of creating the profile of our congregation and submitted that inforamtion to the St. Paul Area Synod. Our call committee has been formed and will soon be getting some pastoral candidates from the Synod and will begin the process of selecting a new lead pastor. In the meantime, we are blessed to have a wonderful interim pastor, Pastor Rebecca Thurmann.